Saturday, March 14, 2015

Pi Day!

I LOVE PI DAY!

I own a ridiculous amount of "pi" shirts and look forward to this day every year.  (The fact that it was a once-in-a-lifetime one this year made it even more special.)
In the past we have measured circles to see that the circumference divided by the diameter does indeed equal pi (or close enough considering 11 and 12 year olds are doing the measuring with strings.)

But Common Core took away circles from me.  And I am so behind in math this year, I wanted to figure out some way to celebrate without losing a day of instruction.  Far too much time later I found Frequency and PI on TPT--it was perfect.  We haven't started our statistics unit yet, but I know that when we do, they will remember this activity.  The kiddos got to create a line plot of the first hundred digits of pi.  The instructional pieces were clear, the list made collecting the data simple, and the kids were completely engaged.

We took "pi" breaks and had "pi" moments throughout the day.
We watched this youtube video and sang this song a ridiculous amount of times (they loved trying to keep up.)
I told "pi" riddles (Why do bakers love mathematicians?  Because they have pi!) and talked like a "pi"rate.
I shared a lot of random pi facts.  One of my kiddos was "How do you know all this?"  I think he thought I was making everything up.
Finally, at the end of the day, I passed out this Pi infographic to use to impress their teachers next year and we enjoyed some pie while completing  a Pi Day poster. 

 It was an ePIc day!



No comments:

Post a Comment